Aug 28, 2015

Review: Play by Kylie Scott

Title: Play
Author: Kylie Scott
Publisher:  St. Martin's Press
Genre: New Adult, Musicians, Contemporary, Romance
Series: Stage Dive #2
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Mal Ericson, drummer for the world famous rock band Stage Dive, needs to clean up his image fast--at least for a little while. Having a good girl on his arm should do the job just fine. Mal doesn't plan on this temporary fix becoming permanent, but he didn't count on finding the one right girl. 
Anne Rollins never thought she'd ever meet the rock god who plastered her teenage bedroom walls--especially not under these circumstances. Anne has money problems. Big ones. But being paid to play the pretend girlfriend to a wild life-of-the-party drummer couldn't end well. No matter how hot he is. Or could it?

Review:

"Read Mal's book," the said.

"Mal is mine!" they said.

"PLAY is the best in the series," they said.

OK, OK. I get it. I get why everyone who has read PLAY proclaims Kylie Scott is a genius and their hero and why they stake ownership flags all over Mal's tattooed, muscular body. I GET IT.

But, to be honest, Mal wasn't the highlight for me in PLAY - Anne was. Anne with her unbreakable spirit, easy going nature and kindness was by far my favorite part. She wasn't a doormat, but she also wasn't a hard ass. I loved how protective she was of her sister and Mal and her friends. I loved the way she stood up for herself.

Don't get me wrong, Mal is hysterical. But I was exhausted for Anne by the end of this book. He's like the Energizer Bunny hopped up on ecstasy and crystal meth. And when he bottoms out, he hits the ground hard. His manic swings gave me whiplash; I just held on to Anne and rode the book out.

The balance of Mal and Anne is what makes the romance. She doesn't try to change him and he encourages her to be braver. 

This is a great follow up to LICK (book 1). I am all about the Stage Dive boys and their crazy lives and the women who wade through the mess to find their happily ever after. Love, love this series!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Play :) Ma's my fav of the Stage Dive guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another five star review? I added Lick to my wishlist in Amazon so I hope to start with that one soon.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!