Aug 2, 2012

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick


Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 6.14.2012
Pages: 325
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Series: No
Source: Purchased ebook


Rating: A+

Summary (from Goodreads):

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

Review:

Sometimes I feel like I read so much so fast, it all blurs together. I overlap characters and plots in my mind until they all make up one singular (albeit twisted) story. Thankfully My Life Next Door is that book that just completely stands apart from the rest. From the very first line, Huntley Fitzpatrick sucked me into her story and I was powerless to stop from falling in love with it.

There is just something so incredibly vexing about Samantha. I loved her character from the jump. She’s strong, but still has that insecure, teenage vulnerability that makes her so real. She’s misunderstood and perfectly imperfect.

Jase and the Garretts are everything you ever wanted your family to be. They’re messy, loud, loyal, loving, and understanding. I wanted to crawl into this world for no reason other than being a Garrett. I wish there was a webcam in their house to watch this family interact. They’re far from perfect, but they’re fun. Fitzpatrick’s true gift (aside from masterful storytelling) is her ability to create these wholly unique characters and bring them to life.

I am a sucker for a good romance this book has it in spades and then some. Not only is it swoon-worthy romantic, it’s also cute and angst-ridden. Samantha and Jase don’t magically get their happily ever after. I think that’s what I appreciated the most—the realistic way these two were written. Especially when they broached the idea of sex. I cannot than Fitzpatrick enough for making it all sweet and perfect. It was awkward and amusing to watch them flounder around a bit.

This is that book where I not only had the ebook, but then I hurried to get a finished copy and quickly passed it off into the hands of my friends. It’s that good. One of those books you can’t love in secret. My Life Next Door is the book I force into the hands of friends and family because I know they’ll adore it just as much as I have. So far I’ve given it to three friends and they have each devoured it in less than 48 hours.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! Excellent review. :) I think you described Jase & Sam's relationship perfectly. And I completely agree about wanting to sneak into the Garrett family!

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I so agree with you, this one was fabulous. I just lovedddd the Garrett family... it made me wish I knew a family like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I haven't read this one- but I have added it to my long list of books to read. I like that this book stood out to you! That makes me want to read it right there. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my wishlist for a while - I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The Garrett family sounds fun - I can't wait to pick this up myself. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can`t wait to read this book, I`ve heard lots and lots of positive reviews about it. And since I`m a sucker for Contemporary and Chick-lit books, I think I`ll love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved this book! Sometimes I wish there'd be a sequel just so I can read about the Garrets and Samantha and Jase again. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mostly read Paranormal romance but I like to take a break from it now and again. Can't give up romance altogether so I look for good contemporary romances to keep me going. this one will definately go on my wish list, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks adorable. I've been looking for some more contemporary - and not paranormal - YA books.

    Loved the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book! My favorite part was when George walked in on them and said, "Hey, you guys have nothing on top .... Me too, we match." LOL! He is so adorable <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your review has won me over. I think realistic is always great in this type of story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I haven't read this book yet but it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read so many positive reviews of this book and it sounds like a really cute and enjoyable read. I love when contemporary books show amazing families and the characters sound great. I can't wait to order the paperback when it is released. Thank you for sharing. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!