Nov 21, 2014

Review: Talon by Julie Kagawa

Title: Talon        
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Publication Date: 10.28.2014
Pages: 461
Genre: Young Adult, Dragons, Fantasy
Series: Talon #1
Source: ARC from BEA

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.
 

Review:

Who doesn't love dragons? I know I do. Whether they're good or bad, they always add an extra level of awesome to a story. So I was already excited about this when I first heard about it. And not to mention it's from Julie, so I know this ought to be amazing.

Ember. What a girl. I immediately loved her in this opening scene. I could tell she was fiery. She seemed to have that air about her that she just wasn't a follower, that she wanted more. She quickly became a favorite. She has such a strong love of life that is hard to imagine she is just trying to fit in, that it's just a mission, a test to survive. Even for me it was hard to remember what she really was at times. It's not hard to believe that she can convince you that she is nothing more than normal.

Garret and Riley. At first they are both quite mysterious, at least to Ember. And I love how she reacts to them. Garret is like Ember. Here only for a mission, until things get complicated. Riley is too, but for a completely different reason. I love how things get complicated and Ember is in the mix trying to decide what to do. It's all just so exciting!

I couldn't put this down. It was a suspenseful and exciting ride to find out that what you thought is really wrong and everything you are told is only a half truth. Garret, Riley, and Ember all have my attention. I CANNOT wait for the next one. Something happened, I thought it was unexpected, that has you holding your breath. Talon definitely has my attention.



Buy: Talon by Julie Kagawa

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this as much as you did. I had some issues with it. I was actually a bit disappointed with it. I will read the next one b/c this one kind of ended on a cliffy of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek!! I'm glad you liked this. I've been putting it off out of fear. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bleed Julie Kagawa lore and I couldn't stand Ember. I gave the book a 2 star and moved on. I think I'll read the sequel, but I am more invested in the continuation of the Iron Fey series after Iron Traitor.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!