Aug 28, 2011

Review: Last Breath by Rachel Caine


Title: Last Breath
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: NAL
Publication Date: 11.1.2011
Pages: 352
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Yes (Morganville Vampires #11)
Source: ARC tour from Rex Robot Reviews

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
With her boss preoccupied researching the Founder Houses in Morganville, student Claire Danvers is left to her own devices when she learns that three vampires have vanished without a trace. She soon discovers that the last person seen with one of the missing vampires is someone new to town—a mysterious individual named Magnus. After an uneasy encounter with Morganville's latest resident, Claire is certain Magnus isn't merely human. But is he a vampire—or something else entirely?

Review:
I’m honestly scrambling to find something other than “I FREAKING LOVED IT” to post right now, but I’m coming up somewhat empty. Rachel Caine’s 11th book in the Morganville Vampire series is everything a fangirl could dream of. Last Breath was filled with drama, romance, action, mystery, and a lot of suspense.

After eleven books, you pretty much know what you’re getting into with these books … or so I thought. Caine again kept me on my toes by showing us not only Claire’s point of view, but also Eve and Amelie. While I found Eve’s scenes all right, it was the insight into Amelie’s head that I simply adored. It was great to hear her inner monologue as she worked things out. She is a character I never quite know where to stand with, and now I feel like I know (and love) her a little bit more.

When this series debuted, I thought Caine was a genius. She gave a whole new spin on vampires and vampire lore that I hadn’t encountered yet. That her characters were loveable and multi-dimensional was an added bonus. In this book she adds another layer to the vampire legend and why Morganville itself was created in the middle of the desert. I was always curious as to why vampires chose to live under the hot, Texas sky and this explains it marvelously.

This book is a fun ride all the way around. I cracked it open as soon as I tore it out of the envelope in the mail and didn’t stop until I was done four hours later. Yes, it’s that good. Fans of the Morganville Vampire series will love this book. If you haven’t picked up any of these books, run (don’t walk) to your nearest bookstore. I promise you won’t be sorry.


9 comments:

  1. *faints*.......
    I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!
    I have had Last Breath on my To Be REad list since i knew about it. I am really looking forward to reading it.
    YOur review makes me want November to come even quicker. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I can't wait!! I'm glad this one was so enjoyable. I'll look forward to hearing from Amelie, because she is such a tricky multidimensional character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've got to get mine posted :) I am so glad you loved this one as much as I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is crazy amounts of awesome. Pre-order it NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I enjoyed the first seven books, but never got around to reading the next few... sounds like I definitely should, reading your review. Glad you enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you!!!! I loved this book and series also! The only thing I hate is that now I have to wait for the next book. I can't wait!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished Kiss of Death a few hours ago and I absolutely loved it. I can't wait to read the last few books. I stopped trying to figure out what would happen next because I was not even close with my suspicions. Great review. It's one more reason(not that I need one) to keep reading the series. I expect it to be as good as the previous. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehehe I rarely find someone who loves these books as much as me I have been addicted since they first came out I have signed copies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy this series. I am excited for Bitter Blood.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!