Dec 10, 2014

Review: Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Wicked
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: 12.9.2014
Pages: 371
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Series: A Wicked Saga #1
Source: Finished copy from author

Rating: 4 ½ Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans. 

Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart. 

Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her. 

But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul.

Review:
Sometimes an author I love does something that truly tests me. I’ve said for years that I’ll read anything Jennifer L. Armentrout writes, and what does she write? A novel with faeries in it. And what is my biggest book no-no?

Yes, faeries.

I have yet to find a story with fae in it to love … until now. So yes, Jen Armentrout is actually that good that she managed to get ME to read a novel with a genre I typically shy away from. And not just read it, but enjoy it.

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what I liked about this book. Maybe it was that there is finally a book with new adult age characters that are not set in the every day, contemporary world. Ivy is a lovely main character, written with Armentrout’s signature wit and snark with a healthy dose of heart. But it’s absolutely Ren that stole my heart. Ren with his confidence and green eyes and arms and abs and …


Wait. Where am I again?


The end, though … While the twist felt obvious to me, I’m still excited to see where Armentrout takes the rest of this series. The ending, while not an overt cliffhanger does leave the reader with a sense of impending doom and worry. I can’t wait to crawl back into NOLA and hang out with Ren (and I guess) Ivy again!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. I thought I could hold off until after Christmas on buying myself any more books... but I NEED this one! Yes, I just might have to give in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I need Ren and this book in my life. That gif, lol. That's how I felt about Cage in CAGED IN WINTER.

    And now I want pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! A fairy book you liked! (I love most of them though) I shall be getting this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!