Jul 2, 2013

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Title: The Distance Between Us
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 7.2.2013
Pages: 320
Genre: Contemporary
Series: No
Source: ARC from author

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

Review:
This is one of those reviews I wish I could do in person. I’d probably walk on stage, wait for the spotlight to center on me, and look out meaningfully into the audience. When asked, “Why read The Distance Between Us?” I would simply reply, “It’s Kasie West.” Cue microphone drop and me walking off stage. But I suppose you’re looking for something a little more in depth than that, right?

Let’s start with our girl Caymen, who took a bit of getting used to. She was a little abrasive, a little cold, and altogether amusing. Once I warmed to her, there was no going back and I loved reading about her life and her world with dolls. She has this insanely strong relationship with her mother that I think is lacking in a lot of YA novels. Did they have issues? Absolutely, but there was this deep love and loyalty there that gave the reader the constant reassurance that these two would be all right.

And Xander? He surprised me. I wasn’t sure if I liked him or was tolerating him at first, and then I felt bad because it was almost like Caymen wasn’t giving him a fair shot. Suffice to say, Xander works hard to win the read and Caymen over and he does it well.

I love that the relationship with Caymen and Xander progressed. It was awkward at times, it was funny, it was sweet … There wasn’t a BAM! we’re in love moment. It was very realistic and anchored. I adored watching these two interact. Their chemistry lit up the pages.

West is one of those authors I just love. She has these fantastical ways of writing a scene that just come alive for me. She proved earlier this year with her debut, Pivot Point, that she could write suspense and paranormal. With The Distance Between Us she proves she’s not stranger to contemporary romances either. Make sure you grab a copy of this one this summer!




6 comments:

  1. "When asked, “Why read The Distance Between Us?” I would simply reply, “It’s Kasie West.” Cue microphone drop and me walking off stage."

    THIS HANNAH. This. You know I adore her as well, and this was just such a fun book. Yes, Caymen's sense of humor isn't for everyone and she wields her words like weapons that cut people off at the ankles with the sharpness of her sarcasm, BUT, I have a tendency to do that as well, so I could relate. My mom is always telling me I need to watch the snark because not everyone gets my humor:) MORE KASIE PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!!!! Btw, I WAS Caymen at 17, just without a Xander or those creepy dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's Kasie West." AHHHHH SO I STILL NEED TO READ PIVOT POINT BECAUSE COMMENTS LIKE THIS SEEM TO HAPPEN EVERYWHERE.

    I'd read about her job with dolls, but I'd not read about her relationship with her mother. Sounds really nice, especially, as you said, given the current state of parents in YA lit. And well, Xander should work hard, based on what I've read in other reviews! (All right, so maybe I already like Caymen :D.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to read this one!! I haven't read this author before, but this one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The true chemistry in this book amazed me too. I felt similar about Cayman, at first she was hard to like with all her self-deprivation but then she grew and i grew to like her. for xander, i always loved him. I like their slow romance too. Love the way you began the review! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard wonderful things about this one, I'm definitely putting this one on top of my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!