Jul 31, 2014

Review: Rebel Nation by Shaunta Grimes

Title: Rebel Nation
Author: Shaunta Grimes
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Publication Date: 7.1.2014
Pages: 320
Genre: Young Adult, SciFi
Series: Viral Nation #2
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Sixteen years ago, a plague wiped out nearly all of humanity. The Company’s vaccine stopped the virus’s spread, but society was irrevocably changed. Those remaining live behind impenetrable city walls, taking daily doses of virus suppressant and relying on The Company for continued protection. They don’t realize that everything they’ve been told is a lie…

Clover Donovan didn’t set out to start a revolution—quiet, autistic, and brilliant, she’s always followed the rules. But that was before they forced her into service for the Time Mariners. Before they condemned her brother to death, compelling him to flee the city to survive. Before she discovered terrifying secrets about The Company.

Clover and the Freaks, her ragtag resistance group, are doing their best to spread the rebellion and stay under The Company’s radar. But when their hideout is discovered, they are forced, once again, to run. Only this time, The Company has special plans for Clover, plans that could risk her life and stop the uprising in its tracks…

Review:

Shaunta Grimes has definitely delivered with this second book. Clover has captured my attention yet again.

I love how this book is thought out and not rushed. Everything is well planned in it. Starting and carrying through a rebellion takes work and lots of forethought. I don't think there was one thing that I thought of that the characters didn't in their planning.  And I think that's important here. You can't just wake up and overthrow anything. It's quite a delicate procedure and you get a beautiful understanding of that in this book. Some people might think it's a bit drawn out but here isn't not going to make you stop reading. It made me want to continue reading just to find out what happens.

Clover. She has yet again captured my attention. To see her grow in this book was amazing. She pushes herself, even to her own limits, to get done what is needed. Her mind is an extraordinary thing in itself and I imagine Grimes has had experience or done her research quite well. With her autism she makes this book. I don't think anyone els could have done this.

The uncertainty of everything is like a weight you can actually feel. Right along with the urgency of needing to flee and stay. The rush of help is so welcoming, and unexpected, I took a sigh of relief with West and Leanne as they came into view.

A book has to be one helluva book for me to be excited about a fictional rebellion. I cannot wait for the next one. I have to find out what happens to Clover once she leaves to try and save everyone else. I have to know what happens to the Freaks!

3 comments:

  1. Long live the Freaks! I knew you would love it too. I can't wait for the conclusion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a five-star read, huh? Nice! Love when a book really pulls you along for a fantastic ride.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!