Aug 18, 2014

Recap: #YADC Tackles eBook Piracy



This weekend YADC converged at One More Page in Arlington, Virginia for the launch party of Jessica Spotwood's final book in the Born Wicked trilogy, but we also came together to help spread the word about a topic very near and dear to our hearts: eBook Piracy.

eBook piracy is growing at an alarming rate. Authors are losing money, publishers are losing money, and readers are suffering as a result. A lot of piracy is involving eARCs lately. Local author Martina Boone said that pirated copies of her debut COMPULSION were up on 15 sites six months prior to the release this October. 

YADC had the idea to create a PSA (Public Service Announcement) about eBook piracy. The video is currently in the editing phase, but i had such a blast this weekend with my YADC friends that I needed to talk about it here.







I've met a lot of people who are fascinated by YADC and want to know how they can join something like this. Let me tell you about YADC:

YADC (Young Adult DC) was a group started by Andye at Reading Teen in late February of 2013. She had this brilliant idea to start a Facebook group to keep track of local signings and events that bloggers, authors, librarians, book sellers and fans could use in the MD/DC/VA area. Within months it exploded into a group of over 100 people.

I don't think any of us realized how many authors and bloggers we have in our little area, but it's amazing. It also means now we always have a familiar face when we go to a signing event. 

Here are 5 quick things to know about YADC:

1. The events are awesome, but the carpool road trips to get there can be awesome-r. Like that time I saw a man napping on the sidewalk in DC. At night. We hope he was napping anyway. 

2. When in doubt of a name, just yell, "Steph!" or "Jen!" I promise someone, if not 5 someones, will turn around.

3. Laughter is guaranteed. I've yet to wake up the day after a YADC event without a massive headache and/or sore throat from laughing so hard I cried.

4. Books and Cupcakes are the power couple of YADC and we all ship that pairing hardcore. Also, never tell Jen that the cupcakes have fallen over unless you're cool with her having a heart attack.

5. We have in insanely group of talented people in a relatively small space. From our writers to our bakers to our bookstores, I never cease to be amazed by how much talent and heart is in this area.

YADC Links:

11 comments:

  1. eBook piracy certainly needs tackling and the more who are aware that it goes on the better. Great post! I love the YADC idea sounds like a whole lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you guys are making a video about piracy. I think (or I like to think, anyway) that there are a lot of people out there who just don't understand why it's wrong, and if they really did know the consequences, they wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the video! YADC sounds amazing and lol about the Jens and Stephs. :p

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And love seeing familiar faces, too! I wish we had more blogger/reader events around here. I already can't wait for BEA 2015 >.< Sounds like you had a blast, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So looking forward to seeing the PSA!!! I'm just baffled by the whole piracy thing, whether it's books, movies or music. I just can't understand taking someone's work and posting it so huge numbers of other people can get it for free. I just want to walk their various mailboxes on payday and snatch their checks from them to see how they like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long live the carpoolers! You all look like you have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love YADC and number 2 is soooo true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, again, Hannah, for all that you did to make this happen! It worked out so well and I had so much fun being part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannah, thanks so much for sharing this on your blog! I'm happy to say that when someone posted a link to a pirated copy of a book I reviewed on Goodreads, I contacted Goodreads and within minutes that removed the link. The person who posted it was also contacted immediately! We must be vigilant! Thanks again. YOU ARE AWESOME! xxLiza

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post! I'm so happy to belong to such an amazing and active group :) I sorry that I missed the filming, but I hope you see you at the Baltimore Book Fair.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!