Aug 15, 2014

Review: Bright Before Sunrise by Tiffany Schmidt

Title: Bright Before Sunrise
Author: Tiffany Schmidt
Publisher: Walker Children’s
Publication Date: 2.18.2014
Pages: 277
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Series: N/A
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Jonah and Brighton are about to have the most awkwardly awful night of their lives. For Jonah, every aspect of his new life reminds him of what he has had to give up. All he wants is to be left alone. Brighton is popular, pretty, and always there to help anyone . . . but has no idea of what she wants for herself. Her seemingly perfect life is marred only by Jonah, the one person who won't give her the time of day, but also makes her feel, well, something. So when they are repeatedly thrown together over the course of one night, anything can—and does—happen. Told in alternating chapters, this poignant, beautiful novel's energy and tension, amidst the humor and romance, builds to a new beginning of self-acceptance and hope.

Review:
Before reading this book, I heard all the buzz: Tiffany Schmidt is a great author; I love BRIGHT BEFORE SUNRISE; Dibs on Jonah … But for some reason, I kept passing over this book repeatedly.

Stupid, Hannah. *facepalm*

BRIGHT BEFORE SUNRISE is a brilliantly written book that I never saw coming. Schmidt has a flowing, almost poetic way of telling a story that immediately draws the reader into the heart of the story. She has created vivid, emotionally engaging characters and set them against a wholly unique plot that any reader would fall in love with.

While this may seem like a recipe for insta-love (I mean, two teens, one night? Come on.), I was shocked at how natural the progression of their relationship was. Yes, the story mostly spans a single night, but watching Jonah and Brighton go through an entire night together was almost magical. Is it conventional? No, but darn it if I don’t one single night just like this where anything and everything feel possible.


BRIGHT BEFORE SUNRISE is a book that totally caught me off guard. I wasn’t expecting to love it nearly as much as I did, but this book and Tiffany Schmidt have firmly anchored themselves in my heart. If you’re looking for a sweet, poignant romance, then look no further.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this one. I've had an ARC sitting on my shelves for months now, but still haven't gotten to it. I keep thinking I'll pick it up and then get distracted by other books. I love that everyone is saying that even though it takes place over only one night, it doesn't feel like instalove. I'm going to have to get to this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited for this one Hannah! I've heard nothing but amazing things:) I love relationships that start out antagonistic and then slowly progress into something else (even though the slowly part of this particular story is relative). So glad to know you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this one! Yeah, I haven't heard about it till now, but your review has my excited :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why haven' I heard of this one? *shakes head* I've gotten a bit out of the YA loop, what with all my UF/Romance reading lately but this one sounds really good! I like that, even though the romance happens quickly, it seems natural and not insta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... I have this one in my TBR list and for some reason it feel off my radar. I'll have to check it out now since you loved it so much :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!