Jan 13, 2015

Review: Falling Away by Penelope Douglas

Title: Falling Away
Author: Penelope Douglas
Publisher: NAL Trade
Publication Date: 1.6.2015
Pages: 432
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Series: Fall Away #3
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 3 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Jaxon is the guy she’s supposed to avoid.

K.C. is the girl he won’t let get away....

K. C. Carter has always followed the rules—until this year, when a mistake leaves her the talk of her college campus and her carefully arranged life comes crashing to a halt. Now she’s stuck in her small hometown for the summer to complete her court-ordered community service, and to make matters worse, trouble is living right next door.

Jaxon Trent is the worst kind of temptation and exactly what K.C. was supposed to stay away from in high school. But he never forgot her. She was the one girl who wouldn’t give him the time of day and the only one to ever say no. Fate has brought K.C. back into his life—except what he thought was a great twist of luck turns out to be too close for comfort. As the bond between them grows, he discovers that convincing K.C. to get out from her mother’s shadow is hard, but revealing the darkest parts of his soul is nearly impossible.…

Review:
After meeting Jax in BULLY and hearing a bit of his heartbreaking childhood, I was waiting for his happily ever after. Now, K.C. annoyed me (a lot) in BULLY, so I was expecting this to be her redemption. Unfortunately FALLING AWAY brought up as many issues as it solved, for me anyway.

I truly enjoyed the first 2 books in Penelope Douglas' Fall Away series. I loved Tate and Jared and Madoc and Fallon, but Jax and K.C. just fell flat for me.

Maybe because K.C., even with part of her explained past, was still not someone I trusted after the way she screwed over her "best friend". The offered reason why didn't fly with me, and Tate is much more forgiving than I am.

Jax was definitely the high point in this book, but even he went a little off the rails. One scene in particular went from angsty to downright scary. Maybe it's me, but pulling a knife and cutting off someone's clothes while they're crying and saying "no" isn't a recipe for sexy times. It's assault.

This book had a lot of problems for me, but I do enjoy Penelope Douglas' writing and catching up with my other favorite couples.
Buy: Falling Away by Penelope Douglas

2 comments:

  1. Hm. I'm not a very forgiving person (when it comes to characters in books) either, and I tend to hold a mean grudge, so I'm thinking K.C. and I will clash a touch. O.o Glad the previous two books in the series were winners for you though Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and Jenny -- I'm not a very forgiving person. I try...but when I've made up my mind about someone (especially characters), I tend to give them very little wiggle room. Poor characters!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!