Feb 22, 2011

Review: The Candidates by Inara Scott


Title: The Candidates
Author: Inara Scott
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Publication Date: 8.24.2010
Pages: 293
Genre: Paranormal; Paranormal Romance
Series: Yes; Book #1 (Delcroix Academy)

Rating: B

Summary (from Goodreads):
Dancia Lewis is far from popular. And that's not just because of her average grades or her less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia's mediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a person threatening someone she cares about, things just...happen. Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everything possible to avoid getting close to anyone, belieiving this way she can supress her powers and keep them hidden.

But when recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy show up in her living room to offer her a full scholarship, Dancia's days of living under the radar may be over. Only, Delcroix is a school for diplomats' kids and child geniuses--not B students with uncontrollable telekinetic tendencies. So why are they treating Dancia like she's special? Even the hottest guy on campus seems to be going out of his way to make Dancia feel welcome.

And then there's her mysterious new friend Jack, who can't stay out of trouble. He suspects something dangerous is going on at the Academy and wants Dancia to help him figure out what. But Dancia isn't convinced. She hopes that maybe the recruiters know more about her "gift" than they're letting on. Maybe they can help her understand how to use it...But not even Dancia could have imagined what awaits her behind the gates of Delcroix Academy

Review:
I will preface this review by shallowly admitting I was completely entraced by the cover. It is honestly what drew me in from the beginning.

That being said, I truly enjoyed this book to the point where I read it in one day. While it wasn't necessarily a book I desperately had to finish it, I also didn't feel the need to "take a break" and walk away from the book.

I'm surprised this is Inara Scott's first book - she handled it like a pro. Her characters come off as complete and intriguing, and her settings are lush and descriptive. In fact, had the character of Dancia not announced to readers she was only 14, I think I would have thought she was an older teen for most of the book because of the more sophisticated style of wording Scott uses throughout the book.

THE CANDIDATES doesn't throw anything unexpected at the reader. And while Dancia isn't as extraordinary a character as her power, I found her likeable nonetheless. Even brooding Jack, who could have easily become an obnoxiously predictable "bad boy", was a fun character.

This is also one of the few books I've read with a romantic triangle where I have no idea which couple I'm supposed to invest in. Dancia and Jack have this electric connection because of their gifts, but Dancia and Cam seem more suited for each other in many ways. In most books, I can tell right off the bat which couple the author wants me to ship out of a triangle, but Scott generously lets the reader draw their own conclusions. In a world of Bella & Edward soulmates, that is a refreshing idea. I'll definitely be checking out the sequel, THE WATCHERS, this summer.

4 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot, but I am not sure about the love triangle, either. I am leaning towards Jack as the more interesting of the two, but if Cam is developed a little more...who knows? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and loved it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this book. The excerpt is interesting. Reading your review, I think I want to read it soon.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book, and I would like have the second book. Inara Scott created an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!