Feb 21, 2011

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 1.4.2011
Pages: 435
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Yes; Book #1

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

Review:
Have you ever loved a book so thoroughly that when you finished it you didn’t know what to read next? Because nothing else you would pick up could compare to the magic of this particular book. That’s how I felt when I turned the last page of Unearthly.

I’m the type of reader that when I sit down to read a romance (paranormal or otherwise), I want to know what couple I’m rooting for. Given the summary, I was settled in to loving Christian. I went into this story, swooning when he saved Clara in the hallway her first day, and wanting to love him.

And then, I didn’t. His little quirks started to annoy me, the way he so easily dismissed Clara irked me, and I found myself starting to doubt the glowing reviews other bloggers had given this book. Then I fell for Tucker, possibly harder than our heroine. And while I won’t give away what happens next, I can honestly say that few paranormal romances have ever moved me the way this one did. I was thinking of it long after I set it back on my shelf, and even now my mind drifts back to it. I have an inkling that I will forever be comparing any other romantic pairing in books to the love created by Cynthia Hand in this book.

In the midst of so many other ‘angel’ stories, Hand has set her series apart. She doesn’t make the reader wait for a hundred pages for the heroine to discover her destiny. Everything is very upfront and easy to guess. She has blended reality with dream, fact with fiction so aptly that it’s hard to tell the difference. All I know is that this book is magical and everything it’s hyped up to be.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm intrigued! This book has been patiently waiting on my kindle for a few weeks now, but I think I'll move it on top of the list. If you say it's so great I have to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just such a good read. I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Unearthly! One of my favorites reads of 2011! I'm happy you enjoyed it! :D

    x
    Sierra(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you :) I love this book and really enjoy reading this story. I don´t like angels very much but this book was just so so great :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this book and now I want it even more. I've got to buy or borrow this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I just got Unearthly on my kindle. Excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A while back I really wanted to read this book but then other more books came along and this one was left behind for some reason... I will have to see what I can do to get my hands on it and read it. It definitely sounds interesting and like something I would enjoy. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so glad I wasn't told who the main couple was. I'm absolutely in love with Tucker and can't wait to get my hands on Boundless. In fact, I have a friend going over to live in Mauritius and it was one of the presents I gave her. Unearthly is such a good book.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!