Feb 28, 2011

Review: Desires of the Dead


Title: Desires of the Dead
Author: Kimberly Derting
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: 2.15.2011
Pages: 368
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Yes; Book #2 of The Body Finder series

Rating: A+

Summary (from Goodreads):
The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

Review:
After reading, and adoring, the Body Finder, I will admit I was a bit hesitant at first to read this. So many books have this great premise and make me fall in love with a couple, but then in the sequel I find that they place unnecessary obstacles in front of the couple for the sole purpose of drama and not to better the book.

If I wasn't head over heels in love with Jay and Violet in book 1, I was more than obsessed with them in book 2. The natural progression of their romance never once felt forced or saccharine sweet. They were what every couple should aspire to be - bringing out the best in each other. Now, was that without faults and drama? Of course not, but what relationship is?

The plotline itself of the book was good, but not as compelling as its predecessor. Violet basically acquires a stalker, which leads to her unearthing a mystery much later in the book. The identity of Violet's stalker isn't really a secret - you can pretty much guess who it is after the first chapter of insight into the stalker's head. I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of twists and turns that the first book amply supplied, but Derting is a great storyteller with an easy-to-read way of writing. I was easily able to dismiss any disappointments with the plot because of this. I have a feeling that I will be reading whatever Derting writes.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your thoughts. I really liked this one, but I was disappointed it was as mysterious as the first one. And I guess because the stalker is obvious, and I even found the twist behind the stalker obvious, I didn't find it as creepy. Still, I love her writing, and I adore Violet and Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the first book in the series, but this was a DNF for me. I just found Violet too stupid to live. Not telling her parents about the FBI (and how ludicrous and illegal it was for contractors working for the FBI to approach a minor without her parents!!!). Not talking with Jay, the person she used to be able to confide everything in. Yes, the relationship changed, but not to even try? Then doing to the dock on her own, knowing it could be dangerous. She's a teenager. I can accept a lot but this was all so totally implausible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard nothing but great things from this series and it's making me want to read it as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to start this series but wasn't really sure. It will soon be on my shelf. Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!