Jun 11, 2011

Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: Half-Blood
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: 9.15.2011
Pages: 281
Genre: Mythology, Romance
Series: Yes (Covenant #1)

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure-bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Review:
It’s not very often a book piques my curiosity so much that I have a deep craving in my gut to read it. This book has been blowing up across the blogosphere, and I can assure every person reading this review: it’s that freaking good. It’s one of those books that you open to read and then set it down four hours later, head spinning like you’ve spent an afternoon on the tilt-a-whirl with the biggest grin on your face. It has everything you could want: action, romance, angst, and so much more.

I have the utmost respect for an author who can literally hurl you into the story. With Jennifer L. Armentrout, you hit the ground running with Alex as she tries to evade a group of daimons within the first few pages. She also throws several characters out in quick succession, but takes the time to explain them all with such clarity, that I was never confused. Alex starts off as a brash, abrasive girl but you soon come to realize that her smart mouth and sarcastic quips are a big defense mechanism. Alex is the leader of an all-star cast, though. I fell for everyone from Caleb to Seth, and even Marcus wormed his way into my heart.

While it seems there is a romantic triangle being set up in this book for the series, I am 100% Team Aiden. The chemistry between Alex and Aiden burns across the pages so hot it’s a wonder my fingers didn’t blister. And who doesn’t love a forbidden romance? Especially one where the stakes are as high as this one.

The worst part about reading a book so far in advance from its publishing date is that it makes the wait for the sequel that much longer. Thankfully I was not left with a jaw-dropping cliffhanger, but more of a hopeful looking to the future of Alex. I recommend everyone pre-order this book now. This is one read you won’t be sorry you indulged in.

** Special thanks to Kate @ Spencer Hill Press for providing me with an advance copy for review & the awesome swag! **

9 comments:

  1. Team Aiden!!!!! I loved this book too :o) Can't wait for Pure!!

    Mickey @ imabookshark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've kind of been ignoring this one because of all of the hype. Your review has effectively changed my mind! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! Love love this book and so totally team Aiden. I had the same thought about reading it so far in advance. I want Pure now! But the good news, I will go back and reread Half-Blood when I get my hands on Pure so I get to experience it all again. Great review. ;)

    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a book you definitely need to snag, Celesta. It's freaking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. after reading your review i have to read it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard a great deal about this book and have it on my TBR list. Your review just solidifies my own interest.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard great things about it. I am currently reading Daimon, it's quite good so far, still waiting for the emergence of Aiden. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an amazing series so far.. great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this series! It has everything I want out of a series: action, romance, humor, and paranormal. Team Aiden:)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!