Nov 18, 2011

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor



Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher:  Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: 9.27.2011
Pages: 420
Genre: Paranormal
Series: Yes (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1)
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Review:
I love this book, I just do. From the original character names to the wholly original plot to that cover that screams, “READ ME!” It’s hard not to fall in love with Laini Taylor’s debut novel and I can see why this book has garnered so much attention. It is flawless written with lush words that fill the pages, enticing the reader deeper and deeper into the book.

Karou—I seriously just love that name—is a phenomenal lead. Seeing the world through her eyes was beautiful and exhilarating. She is the tip of the amazing-character-iceberg. I love her and Akiva. They are literary gold, and I cannot get enough of them. Just please, give me more. NOW.

There is something that is pure magic about certain books, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone has it. There are few books on my shelves I will reread because I am in awe of the way a writer places the words together to make a sentence full of enchantment. I can safely say this book has earned that distinction. Many books are good, have fun plots or witty characters, but it’s the places in between the action, in between the dialogue, that draw me in. It’s the space between the heartbeats of a novel that win me over and fuse with my heart.

For a book so large, the ending came entirely too fast. I was left desperate for more at the end, and with too many questions that really need answering. I suppose that is the mark of a great book—leave them panting for more, right? If that is the ultimate goal, Taylor has it in spades. I truly hope one day I get to meet Laini Taylor; her mind must be an amazing place to create such a wild, vivid story that has captured so many readers. I can only imagine she would be as charming and creative in person.

Buy: Amazon

30 comments:

  1. Wow, maybe I need to bump this up on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is official. I'm the only one who did not like this book. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear that this was a good read. I have been wanting to read this since it came out. I am a huge fan of the Faeries of Dreamdark series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..awesome..u made me even more excited to rwad this book! seems amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review -- this book is definitely moving up near the top of my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book checked out from the library and have to read it..the names do sound interesting as does the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a signed first edition of this book - I can't wait to read it! :)

    Thanks for the great review!

    Dani @ Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep hearing great things about this book. I put it on hold at the library & I'm patiently waiting =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I found this review. I've been hearing about this book, so it was nice to see a review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree that the ending came too fast on this one, I just wanted to keep reading and reading! I loved it! Glad you enjoyed it as well. Now I am just trying to get all of my friends and family to read it without spoiling anything for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is truly amazing and I'm dying to know what happens to Karou!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing review! I've heard so much great things about this book. I'm glad you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adored this book and your review definitely doe justice to just how amazing it is! I can not wait for the sequel =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started reading this one today and I am so excited! I can't wait to get into it. I have been trying to avoid reviews for fear of spoilers, so thanks for your review. It made me even more ready to read the book without giving anything away! Thanks!

    Jaime Lynn-GFC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, great review!!!! Even if it wasn't already on TBR list, this would make me want to read it. The cover is awesome, which is what first drew me to the book. I have nothing but raving reviews for this one. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you loved this one. I loved this one too. One of the most beautiful books written ever! I agree with you that "Daughter of Smoke and Bone has it." COMPLETELY TRUE! Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so surprised when I saw this at my bookstore, I remember hearing such good things about it that I had to read it. Somehow I ended up buying it for a friend but I can't wait to borrow the copy from her. Your review has made me even more excited to read it. I read a few lines from the book and I have to agree, the writing is beautiful. Great review!

    Isa @ Lollibean

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this book too! So original and full of action and romance! I read it so fast because I couldn't wait to see what happened next! I am looking forward to reading the next in the series!

    Suz Reads

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book is on my "want to/wish" list. I've read so many good reviews of (yours included) this book. I think my youngest daughter would enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read this book and have to say I love it! Thanks for the great review btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really want to read this book, I'm glad you liked it. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the review. I'm considering getting it now. I like a strong lead so to hear she was one is a great motivator :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I received this book as a gift and was wary about it but after reading your review I feel a bit better about it. Thanks for the review. I hope I like it as much as you did

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! I asked for it for Christmas )(in 2011) and I hadn't even read it yet. The reviews were raving about this book! I knwe I had to read it eventually. And I loved it! This book has the strangest (not a bad ting) twist on war, but it's so cool! I haven't gotten my copy of Days of Blood and Starlight yet, but maybe I'll ask for that one for Christmas this year! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This book was amazing! I am so excited for book two! I am glad you liked this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review! I've had this book on my to buy list for ages and reading your review gives me yet another fantastic reason to actually go out and buy and read this book/series. I reeeally want to meet these characters you're crushing on :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this book! But I liked the sequel even better :). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This swiftly became one of my favorite books, I love the story, love the mix of supernatural creatures and I can't wait to read the third book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds good! I want to read this one! :D

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!