Apr 10, 2013

Review: Passion Blue by Victoria Strauss


Title: Passion Blue
Author: Victoria Strauss
Publisher: Amazon Children’s Publishing
Publication Date: 11.6.2012
Pages: 352
Genre: Fantasy
Series: No
Source: ARC from BEA

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
"Be sure you know your true heart’s desire, or you may find yourself surprised by what you receive."

This is the warning the Astrologer-Sorcerer gives Giulia when she pays him to create a magical talisman for her. The scorned illegitimate daughter of a Milanese nobleman, Giulia is determined to defy the dire fate predicted by her horoscope, and use the talisman to claim what she believes is her heart’s desire: true love and a place where she belongs–not likely prospects for a girl about to be packed off to the cloistered world of a convent.

But the convent of Santa Marta is full of surprises. There are strict rules, long hours of work, and spiteful rivalries…but there’s also friendship, and the biggest surprise of all: a workshop of female artists who produce paintings of astonishing beauty, using a luminous blue mixed from a secret formula: Passion blue. Yet even as Giulia begins to learn the mysteries of the painter’s craft, the magic of the talisman is at work, and a forbidden romance beckons her down a path of uncertainty and danger. She is haunted by the sorcerer’s warning, and by a question: does she really know the true compass of her heart?

Review:
At 17 did you know your place in the world or what you wanted or what u though was your hearts desire? I know I hadn't the faintest idea. I still don't think I do. This captivating story gives you a glimpse into the mind and heart of a confused yet determined young woman.

I'm not quite sure where to start. The setting was stunning. Set in the old Italian Renaissance, it trapped you into this different yet amazing place. I can only imagine the palazzos and the convent of Santa Marta. So full of color, alive yet also still in the paintings. I was amazed at how detailed and descriptive Victoria was with this novel.

Giulia was amazing. I loved how Victoria threw you into her life. So much that I was actually thinking like Giulia. You actually understand her wants, desires, and determination to belong and be loved. Not only did I love Giulia, I loved the other nuns, novices, and even Ormanno in his own right.

This has got to be the best book I have ever read thus far of the original life question: Where is my place in the world. I cannot praise Victoria enough for this heartfelt, soul-searching and riveting novel of a strong willed, determined young woman who anyone would be enthralled by.

Reviewer: Gabrielle

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I swear when I saw this I said to myself "Hmm I got that at BEA last year..Why haven't I read it yet?"
    Then I saw where you got it from!
    I am a bit wishy washy about reading it. It seems to fantasy driven for my tastes. I like fantasy but it has to be lite. Harry Potter is as fantasy as I go.
    Please tell me if I misjudged this book. The cover is gorgeous.
    Have you read the book "The Program" yet? I requested it on NG or EW and was turned down :(
    It looks good, is it?
    Have a good one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely not that kind of fantasy. I think it's the kind of lite your looking for. And no I haven't read that one and to be honest I haven't even heard of it lol. I am still trying to keep up with what's new and good out there. I loved this for the little novel it was. I hope you read it and enjoy at least a little bit :-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!