Jan 16, 2013

Review: Falling For You by Lisa Schroeder


Title: Falling For You
Author: Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 1.1.2013
Pages: 355
Genre: Contemporary
Series: No
Source: Purchased finished copy

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
Rae's always dreamed of dating a guy like Nathan. He’s nothing like her abusive stepfather—in other words, he’s sweet. But the closer they get, the more Nathan wants of her time, of her love, of her...and the less she wants to give. 

As Rae’s affection for Nathan turns to fear, she leans on her friend Leo for support. With Leo, she feels lighter, happier. And possessive Nathan becomes jealous. 

Then a tragedy lands Rae in the ICU. Now, hovering between life and death, Rae must find the light amid the darkness…and the strength to fight for life and the love she deserves.

Review:
Lisa Schroeder is one of those authors you just know about. Before this I had never read one of her books. All I knew is people whose opinions I value were crazy obsessed with reading this and that was enough to pique my interest. Now I see what all the hype was about. Falling For You is a book that I will never forget.

Rae is a strong, but fractured, girl. She hasn’t had an easy life. She’s relatively on her own—hiding her painful family issues from her friends and putting on a brave front for the world. She’s very much a teenage girl who thinks with her heart and makes mistakes. Frequently. Like the one she makes with Nathan.

I think my biggest issue with the book is the Rae and Nathan relationship. I disliked Nathan from the jump so much, that my dislike of him transferred to Rae when she showed an interest in him. Rarely have I wanted so desperately to shake a book character. You can tell from the synopsis that Nathan clearly isn’t the hero in this story, but I wasn’t expecting him to be such a total douche. I can’t remember I disliked a character so intensely. I couldn’t figure out why Rae would like him at all. Usually guys who are abusive and possessive start off suave and build up to being an ass. Nathan goes from zero to jerk in 1.5 seconds.

The way Schroeder writes is something everyone should experience. There are intermittent spurts of poetry laced throughout the story that give it a haunted, lyrical quality that overall enriches this book. Those select, key places are the heartbeat of Falling For You. The end builds to a stunning crescendo that will leave you reeling.


11 comments:

  1. Lovely review Hannah! I know just what you mean about your dislike of Nathan transferring to Rae and coloring your opinion of her for liking him at all. That's happened to me a couple times with characters, but I always take it as a good sign when it does because it means I'm emotionally involved in the story. It seems like this is a sort of beautifully frustrating read:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review is awesome. I've heard Lisa's writing is stunning! Sad that you didn't like the main character's, though. :( That can make or break a story for me! Thanks for your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to this one and I'm glad that you liked it (despite Nathan!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah! I nominated you for the Liebster Award - check it out :)

    http://allodoxophobia.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read a book by the author, and I have to be honest and say I can't say that I have heard much about her. But this one piques my interest in a big way. I know pain and heartache, bad relationships and serious family issues. Reading books such as these is almost cathartic, in a way. Thanks for a fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, nicely detailed review.
    I haven't heard of this author. But the issues are good, and important!
    I understand how you feel about Rae, but many girls (& even women) from bad/abusive homes end up with similar guys. Not many understand this, but it happens way too often.
    Having a step-father suddenly come into our lives & become abusive around my 9th year, I was very confused by it all as well. I was lucky to get out quick and have strong women in my life to show that this attitude was not acceptable. But even in these modern times, many girls are not the fortunate. This is still a topic that needs addressing often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this, badly. But now that you reviewed it, I'm torn between wanting to read it, or avoiding because I'm afraid I can't stand Nathan. :D I also curious about Leo. Tsk, difficult choice. But I believe it still worth to buy, isn't it? Thank you for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Falling for You..Well,Lisa Schroeder wrote it so that explains it..Her stories are unique and full of emotions..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read anything by Lisa Schroeder (I want to; I just haven't had the chance yet), but I think I'd be better starting off with a different one of her novels. Nathan sounds like a total turn-off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like I will have to pick this up! Great review

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds really intense, I'm a little scared just reading the synopsis!
    Dede

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!