Jan 9, 2013

Review: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen


Title: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden        
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: 12.13.2012
Pages: 296
Genre: Contemporary, New Adult
Series: Yes (The Coincidence #1)
Source: eBook

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

Review:
I think new adult is my new favorite genre thanks to The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden. Jessica Sorensen has made a fan of this genre in one fell swoop, and I am desperate for more of Callie and Kayden’s story. These two are so fantastic and romantic and awesome … I need more!

Callie and Kayden really shouldn’t work. They are both horribly damaged and broken individuals, but their path irrevocably twist together one fateful night and then there’s just no going back. Callie has been violated and doesn’t start embracing herself until she escapes to college. While what happened to her isn’t truly revealed until the middle of the book, it’s very, very easy to guess the devastating secret she harbors. My heart didn’t just break for this girl, it smashed. I love Callie. She is so sweet and earnest and vulnerable, I wanted to wrap her in cotton and save her from all the bad in the world.

Kayden struggles with his own demons daily. He has anger issues and a lot of scarring (both inside and outside) from his past. But he has this heart and loyalty that totally won me over. And the way he cares for Callie is the way every girl wants a guy to care for her.

There is a ton of drama in this story, some might even argue too much. It’s almost like a soap opera at times with the amount of crazy being dished out. I chose to embrace that and run with it, but I can see where people might roll their eyes at just how much stuff happens to these two characters.

Sorensen does a wonderful job writing characters that make you feel. She keeps the plot moving at a quick pace so as not to lose the attention of her audience, but she also knows when to slow things down to give everyone a chance to recover from some of the curveballs she throws. Overall, this is an amazing start to a contemporary series that I will be a lifelong fan of.

*The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden is only available as an ebook and is currently on sale of $0.99!!!!*

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like an emotional book! I'm going to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this one about two weeks ago, I'll start it soon :) Have you read Easy? It's amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this book! Am dying for the next one to be released this year. I wasn't sure what to expect and honestly I got it cause other bloggers were recommending it and it was 99cents when I bought it. I was blown away by this book, not at all what I was expecting!
    Excellent Review
    (The other book that blew me away this month was Hopeless by Colleen Hoover)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard about this book before now, but it sounds like it could be a tearjerker...at least for me :) I will definitely be checking this one out.. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review! I bought this book a few days ago because of the cover, I really wasn't sure if it was going to be an awesome book but It sounds like that, so I will definitely read the book this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this book will be my first tearjerker new adult book, I'm not really into tearjerker but I saw so many good reviews on this so I think I have to read it ! Moreover the cover is really beautiful and I've heard it had a meaning in the book (actually like almost all the book covers ;))!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!