Jan 17, 2013

Review: Fallen Too Far by Abbi Glines


Title: Fallen Too Far
Author: Abbi Glines
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: 12.14.2012
Pages: 207
Genre: New Adult
Series: Yes (Fallen Too Far #1)
Source: Purchased ebook

Rating: B+

Summary (from Goodreads):
To want what you’re not supposed to have…

She is only nineteen.

She is his new stepfather’s daughter. 

She is still naïve and innocent due to spending the last three years taking care of her sick mother. 

But for twenty-four year old Rush Finlay, she is the only thing that has ever been off limits. His famous father’s guilt money, his mother’s desperation to win his love, and his charm are the three reasons he has never been told no.

Blaire Wynn left her small farmhouse in Alabama, after her mother passed away, to move in with her father and his new wife in their sprawling beach house along the Florida gulf coast. She isn’t prepared for the lifestyle change and she knows she’ll never fit into this world. Then there is her sexy stepbrother who her father leaves her with for the summer while he runs off to Paris with his wife. Rush is as spoiled as he is gorgeous. He is also getting under her skin. She knows he is anything but good for her and that he’ll never be faithful to anyone. He is jaded and has secrets Blaire knows she may never uncover but even knowing all of that…

Blaire just may have fallen too far.

Review:
When I first heard about the “new adult” genre, everyone told me, “Read anything by Abbi Glines.” While Glines and Fallen Too Far were not my first stop on the NA train, I can certainly see why she has gained such a fan base. There’s a certain charm and simplicity to her writing that is wholly refreshing. It was a nice break from reality to sink into the world she created.

Blaire is an adorably loveable character. With the desperate circumstances and tragic history, you can’t help but feel a ton of empathy for the girl. She’s been through hell and is still fighting. Rush, however, was a hard character for me to accept. He was so back and forth—annoyingly so in the beginning. It took a lot for me to accept him as someone who might love Blaire.

There were several time, though, that the story just felt too thin. Like too much was going on. You had this looming secret, Blaire struggling to balance a new job, new living situation, new friends, new enemies, new romance, Rush and his issues … There was just so much. I felt like the epicenter of the story (Blaire and Rush) got a little shafted because of all this other unnecessary stuff. Either that, or the story need to be lengthened to give more attention to these two.

There is a great twist I didn’t see coming, and it really sets up the next book in the series to kick off. I think my jaw may have dropped a bit for the big reveal, and I’m anxious to see how this plays out and what happens to Blaire and Rush.

If it seems Glines has corner the new adult market, it’s because it’s true. She writes complex characters struggling to find their adult identify while wrestling with their adolescent issues. I’m excited to see where she takes this story next.

Buy: Amazon (ebook)

6 comments:

  1. Hannah! I felt a lot of your feels on Fallen Too Far! I definitely felt like it was a bit too short for everything that happened/all the questions in the beginning. Blaire also kinda got on my nerves for some of the stupid things she did. Not saying I would not have done the same things if Rush was involved. ;) Wooo that man is yummy. AND that plot twist in the end! OMG! We need to read the next one at the same time and talk about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the honest review. I read this too and although I enjoyed the book I felt it was lacking development in a few areas. I'm still planning on reading the second book when it comes out though because now I'm invested and need to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this book but didn't like how it ended so fast! Ready to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read this -- I've read most of her other books and loved them! I'm excited about the twist -- although I bet it will break my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! The twist at the end was excruciating. I thought it was a standalone, so I was excited to read it and then that happened! It was still good, just not what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this book:) Great review by the way!Rush was so troubled in the beginning and I was just so confused with his actions. I didn't expect the twist at the end though. I'm excited for Never Too Far!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!