Jan 9, 2013

Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


Title: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: 1.31.2012
Pages: 362
Genre: Dystopian (Article 5 #1)
Series: Yes
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

Review:
This is one of those books I really want to build a time machine, go back a year, and punch myself for not reading sooner. Article 5 is almost everything I crave in a book—it has this insanely cool plot that had me hooked from inception, characters I can relate to and care about, and enough tension to keep me riveted the whole time.

Ember is a character I was immediately attracted to. She has this inner strength that resonates through the pages of Article 5. I rooted for her and cheered for her, and I loved her scenes with Chase. Chase complements Ember wonderfully. If there was any drawback to this book it’s that I just didn’t get enough of these two, but maybe that’s my own greed talking.

There is a fair amount of violence, but it was never done in a gratuitous fashion. Simmons takes care to make sure there is a point to it, and it really helps enhance the overall story because it adds another layer of intensity. She constantly ups the stakes in this book.

This is very much book one of a series and I had several questions when it drew to a close. The only plus about waiting so long to read this is that I don’t have to wait more than a few weeks to get my hands on the sequel, Breaking Point. I can assure you I won’t wait as long to read the sequel as I did book ones, and I hope you guys don’t either!

11 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite books of last year.
    I can't wait for breaking Point

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!! I so adored this book too Hannah! Like you, I was greedy when it came to Chase and Ember, and I just kept wanting more and more of them the whole way through. Breaking Point needs to get in my hands this minute. *stares at calendar*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I haven't read this one either. I actually just got a copy though so I think I'm going to have to move it up in my TBR. The characters sound awesome and like you said, at least I won't have to wait long to read the sequel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally am guilty of having this book on my shelf but not getting to it yet. Hannah, now I have to move it up in my TBR pile! Chase sounds like a hero I will fall in love with, and I definitely won't mind reading from Embers point of view if your description of her is any indication. :) *runs off to find Article 5*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one, I listed to the audio book several months ago and I can't wait for book 2, I'm glad you liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this book!!!
    It's been a long time since I added it to my pile, but I still haven't got the chance!
    Nice review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a bit doubtful of this one, but I seriously need to read this open that I've read your review. Can't let it go when it's this good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my good I think I have to build a time machine for me, because I haven't read it! >.< I have it on my kindle. I love dystopian and all but I don't know why I haven't read! And i didn´t knew about the sequel! *dies*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this one before, but I have heard so many good reviews like yours that maybe I should stop dragging my feet! I do really like dystopian books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhh this book does sound GOOD! Like you, I to have put off of reading this one. I've seen it around but just kept forgetting about it. Probably because its a book that's been out for awhile and when I'm blog hopping I usually see books that are new releases. I'm really glad I found this review, which is GOOD, because it will be on my top 10 list to buy. I am just loving the dystopian genre right now. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an amazing read which left me hungry for more! Thank God there is another book in the series out otherwise I might have started pulling my hair with impatience!

    Cath Brookes (Alaska Search Marketing)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!