Jan 22, 2013

Review: Easy by Tammara Webber


Title: Easy
Author: Tammara Webber
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Publication Date: 11.06.2012
Pages: 310
Genre: New Adult
Series: No
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: A+

Summary (from Goodreads):
Rescued by a stranger.
Haunted by a secret
Sometimes, love isn’t easy…


He watched her, but never knew her. Until thanks to a chance encounter, he became her savior…

The attraction between them was undeniable. Yet the past he’d worked so hard to overcome, and the future she’d put so much faith in, threatened to tear them apart.

Only together could they fight the pain and guilt, face the truth—and find the unexpected power of love.

Review:
There are crucial moments when you know you will just love a book forever. When I finished the last page of Easy by Tammara Webber, I set it down, and leaned back against my pillows with a sigh and a grin because it was just that good. When a book can elicit the same reaction as the sun warming my bones, I know it’s special.

The plot of Easy isn’t anything revolutionary or groundbreaking. In fact, it’s just the opposite. It’s very centered and real and that is what pulled me in hard and fast. There was no trying to conjure images of imaginary worlds; I could simply be in this world with Lucas and Jacqueline.

As the female lead, Jacqueline is nothing extraordinary. She’s simply a girl trying to find herself. Sometimes it’s a nice break to read about a girl who isn’t trying to save the world, isn’t the hero all the time, and isn’t infallible.  Jacqueline’s humanity is what made me love her. Granted, she annoyed me quite a bit when she starts insisting everyone call her Jacqueline and not Jackie. I get that Jackie was the person she was with her ex (a persona he defined for her), but was the name really that big of a deal?

Every relationship needs one person with the drama and issues, and that’s Lucas, but here’s the thing: Yes, Lucas has a dark past that makes you hurt for him, but he never once plays the sympathy card. He made mistakes and he learned from them, and can’t we all take a lesson from that? His past is inevitably revealed, but you never once think, “Poor, poor Lucas.” He’s a strong guy who grew even strong through adversity.

This is another one of those books that I’m kicking myself for not reading sooner. It’s just awesome. I freaking love the way Webber tells a story. She doesn’t try to be over sophisticated and flowery with her words. The chemistry she created with these two characters scorched me. Absolutely fantastic.

9 comments:

  1. "Yes, Lucas has a dark past that makes you hurt for him, but he never once plays the sympathy card. He made mistakes and he learned from them, and can’t we all take a lesson from that? His past is inevitably revealed, but you never once think, “Poor, poor Lucas.” He’s a strong guy who grew even strong through adversity."

    YES!!! EXACTLY! Yes Lucas was a little bit damaged, but he didn't need fixing. He didn't need her to heal him or complete him or anything else, she just made him happy and vice versa. I really liked that about this story- it felt like a real relationship. I don't like to think that my husband is my "better half" so to speak, I like to think I'm whole on my own, he just makes life better. I think Lucas and Jacqueline's relationship was like that and I just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about Lucas and his past. Tammara Webber made it work by not emphasizing that his dark past made him constantly brooding etc. etc. His past had affected him, yes, but it wasn't something he needed Jackie's help with; it wasn't all that defined him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! I'm so happy that you ended up enjoying this book. I recently read it and I feel the same way as you did! I'm wondering what made me wait so long to pick it up - and I definitely agree with you about Lucas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the name really was that big of a deal because she was trying to be a new version of herself- in her mind she was still the same girl before she was dumped by her boyfriend.I agree with what you said about Lucas and his past and that he didn’t need the sympathy card.It was a lesson about love,hurt and life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you love it, so did I! Easy is one of my favorite reads from last year, and will remain in my 'favorite' books permanently. Lucas found a way to overcome his past and make space in her life for Jacqueline, which is also strong and understanding. Truly outstanding! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome read. I'm adding it to my list of "to reads" It's also nice to see that so many other people seem to really enjoy the book. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own this but still have not read it! Your Review was wonderful read and just need to find the time to read this one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also loved this book, too! I completely agree about finishing a good book and just taking a minute to release a happy sigh and be in your thoughts! That is the best feeling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh~ I also loved this book! :) It was on my to-read list for a long time but when I read it, I regretted no reading it sooner! It was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!