Jan 21, 2013

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: 1.3.2012
Pages: 390
Genre: Fairy tale; dystopian; scifi
Series: Yes (Lunar Chronicles #1)
Source: Purchased finished copy

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review:
I really think my dog and I are the only ones who didn’t read Cinder, the stunning and original debut by Marissa Meyer that blew up the YA world last year. A lot of times when a book generates that much hype I tend to shy away from it. The only plus side is that I now have a short wait to the sequel because I probably would have been committed if I had to wait 13 months for the next installment in this series.

I have always been a fan of fairy tales, but the retellings can be so hit or miss. Taking the age old tale of the little cinder girl (aka Cinderella) and making her a cyborg was sheer genius. I was a little worried that Cinder was all robot, but thankfully that wasn’t the case. I absolutely loved Cinder—she was heartbreakingly vulnerable one moment and then snarky and witty the next. She’s such a selfless heroine, routinely risking her own happiness and life to protect those she cares for. This girl is everything you could want in a heroine and a narrator.

I’m still not sure how I feel about Kai. There were moments I was swooning along with the girls of New Beijing and others where I felt like I just wanted more. I can appreciate that he’s very much a boy becoming a man and trying to figure out how that works while the world watches. His position is not an enviable one, and I’m excited to see where Meyer takes this character in the next books.

The world building Meyer employs blew me away. I love how she managed to construct this fictional world of New Beijing (of the entire Earth and Moon, really) so that it wasn’t all that unbelievable. I don’t know if anyone else could blend together the dystopian, science fiction, and fantasy genres to seamlessly. She made it look easy and it’s a world I could routinely sink into.

If you’ve been on the bubble about Cinder, grab it now. The sequel, Scarlett, comes out next month so you won’t have long to wait. You’ll only pull out half the hair on your head in anticipation.


17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, it is very informative and greatly written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH HANNAH! I know what you mean, I tend to shy away from hugely hyped books too, I didn't pick up Divergent for months and months because I was petrified I'd hate in and be all alone in my Divergent failure. Luckily that wasn't the case:) I'm glad Cinder wasn't that way for you either. The world building was simply phenomenal and I can't wait to see what you think of Scarlet. Kai's not in it very much so there's not much time for him to grow on you, but I adored it just the same. Maybe book 3 will bring us more Kai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JENNY!!!! *tackle hugs*

      It may not have much Kai, but I hear amazing things about Wolf. ;)

      Marissa Meyer is doing a signing/event near my house next month and I can't wait to go!

      Delete
  3. " I don’t know if anyone else could blend together the dystopian, science fiction, and fantasy genres to seamlessly. " <----This Exactly! This is one of the best retellings I've ever read...Can't wait for Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha Hannah! This is one of the reasons why I love you so much; your reviews make me giggle! :) You put so much of your personality in them! Yes, your dog and you may have been the last ones not to read it, but now thankfully it's just your dog. ;) Cinder is such a unique take on the classic fairytale!! And yes, totally with you on Kai. Wolf IS more in the next book if that makes sense. Maybe it doesn't. :P I suck at hints that make sense. ;) Scarlet will be on its way to you next week! WOO! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO! When I first started reviewing I tried to be formal and unbiased and composed ... Now I write reviews the same way I would tell you face-to-face what I think. ;)

      YAY FOR SCARLETT!!!!! And it DOES make sense about Wolf. I'm guessing he's around more in Scarlett than Kai was in Cinder? Works for me!

      Delete
  5. You and your dog were not the only ones! lol I still need to read Cinder! I felt the same way. So happy to hear you loved it so much! I will definitely be picking it up in the next couple months. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed Cinder! It was one of my favorites from last year. I really wish I had put myself in an anti-hype bubble on this one so that I wouldn't have had to wait so long for Scarlet. :-) Awesome review! Can't wait to hear what you think of Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I preordered my copy as soon as I was done. And Marissa Meyer is doing an event near me next month I want to go to!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the review, this book will be on my TBR list, love retellings story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your review! I was really hesitant about picking up Cinder because I tend to be harsh with retellings but I was blown away with Cinder and her younger step sister. It was nice to see that she had someone on her side. I agree with Kai, I wanted so much more from him, but I can't wait to see more from Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading the book too and I'm glad you did. I'm also fascinated with the re-invention of fairy tales and seeing that 'Hansel and Gretel' movie will be coming soon, I'm curious how that was re-worked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I felt pretty much the same way about Cinder, and I too picked it up late, around this past Christmas, which was fantastic because the wait is shorter! wooot! Also part of your review sparked an idea for my own WIP, so that was awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hype usually turns me off from books too, but I'm glad it didn't for Cinder. Though I'm super jealous you didn't have to wait as long for Scarlet :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this book! I have Scarlet sitting on my shelf. I need to crack it open!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't really into reading this book at all... until I read the blurb for Scarlet last week. Now I'm totally in.
    Tracy Awalt Juliano

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!